Let’s talk about the Mariah Carey and the infamous performance she had on New Year’s Eve. Originally, I wasn’t going to talk about this mess because 1) I couldn’t find a good quality video and 2) It’s too much over publicized. But it just keeps getting juicy so why not add to the media coverage. So let’s talk about it now because it’s was a trainwreck that could have been avoid and well, it’s the biggest story in the states right now.
Here’s the bulletpoints….and there’s a lot:
- Mimi performed at Dick Clark’s New Year’s Rockin’ Eve with Ryan Seacrest. The performance was glitchy and the most enjoyable part of NYRE, mainly because it’s like a carwreck, you can’t help but stare, and that NYRE is a borefest.
- During the performance, she stood around and chatted with the audience. She made comments about not being able to hear and tried to continue on with the performance. It was extremely awkward.
- Social Media blew up with it and the next day, it was the most talk about thing as most people called it “the final death of 2016.”
- Mimi’s team’s put out a statement saying that they told Dick Clark Production about her earpiece not working. According to Team Mimi, they just said ehh suck it up. Then they wanted to release a joint statement to but we all know that didn’t happen.
- Team DCP,which sounds like a dance group, took to the offense and pretty much blamed Team Mimi and said “As the premier producer of live television events for nearly 50 years, we pride ourselves on our reputation and long-standing relationships with artists. To suggest that dcp, as producer of music shows including the American Music Awards, Billboard Music Awards, New Year’s Rockin’ Eve and Academy of Country Music Awards, would ever intentionally compromise the success of any artist is defamatory, outrageous and frankly absurd.”
Mariah has pretty much handling the situation like a champ. While I personally believe that there is more the story that both sides are willing to say, she’s pretty much accepting that it happens and moving on. The only thing Mariah wanted was an apologize. Which, she kind of deserves one.
Even if it’s her fault, they produced her performance. They should have done more to prevent the performance from being seen. They should have cut it. They could have saved her from all the crap and the jokes she’s been taking on the chin. But like I said, it’s probably both parties fault but we will never truly know.
Have an opinion on the article? Let us know in the comments below or tweet @Steven_Kaufman